You’re bound to have heard of SEO and know what it means – making your site as good as possible to boost your rankings. But how exactly does it work? We’ve put together this handy guide so that you can make the most of your web design, whether you’re selling online or creating a landing page to share your branding with a wider audience.
How does SEO work?
Search engines use algorithms, complicated mathematical formulas which rank and sort websites based on a number of pre-set criteria. For example, Google will look at the relevance and quality of your content compared to your competitors, will consider how many people visit your site and trust it, and will take into account how many other sites link to yours (as well as the quality of those links). There are other factors too.
How can I best improve my SEO?
Amongst the most important factors to any search engine ranking your site will be authority, trust and quality. The value that your content delivers to a potential reader is a mark of the quality of your site. For example, are your products described in the same way as every other site or are you offering more information? If other sites trust your content and refer their valued browsers to you, a search engine is likely to do the same. You can gain credibility by building relationships with other sites who have established trust with their customers and the relevant algorithms. Popularity influences your ranking, too. For example, your social media presence contributes to how popular you look. If you’re an eCommerce site, the number of sales you make counts as well.
Practical tips for SEO
– Improve the relevance of your content: make sure you’re using keywords appropriate to your field
– User-friendly interface: browsers will keep coming back if your site is easy to use and loads quickly, and enables them to find the information they need easily
– Build relationships: if other brands value and trust your site then their customers will too
– Avoid errors: search engines won’t trust your site if their browsers keep getting error messages
– Build your social media presence: depending on your brand and your customer profile, you may be best suited to Instagram or Facebook, or perhaps LinkedIn is your safest bet (especially for B2B). Remember to build up your interactions for a greater following.
Contact us at Creative Digital Agency today for more help and guidance with SEO.